There are so many different kinds of kisses and they can mean a number of things, according to wisetoast.com. The site later mentions that a kiss can be a powerful, magical experience.
A kiss offers a special connection to the other person, whether it’s between friends or a warm greeting. For some, a kiss is an expression of our souls, which explains why there are so many options to choose from. Let’s be real, the way you kiss your mother is way different from how you kiss your partner.
Here is a list of 7 of the most popular kinds of kisses and what they actually mean. Some of them may seem a little obvious, while others might actually surprise you!
1. Most of us, if not all, are pretty familiar with the french kiss. It’s pretty popular amongst couples because of its intensity and for being the most passionate of all the kisses. According to yourtango.com, the kiss was originally called “Florentine Kiss” and it originally came from British and American soldiers who were coming home after WWI.
2. Then there’s the quick kiss. According to the Women Daily Magazine, a quick kiss isn’t necessarily a romantic one, but it’s pretty great when you first start dating. Or, it’s a way for couples to greet each other in public. Your mouth is usually closed and just the lips touch. Women Daily Magazine notes that the kiss should last more than 3 seconds
3. Kiss on the cheek. Whether you are with your grandmother, your mom, or even your dog…a kiss on the cheek is always a great way to show someone you care about them. Totescute.com writes that a kiss on a cheek is the perfect way to greet someone. It’s typically a friendly sign of affection for anyone you know!
4. A vacuum kiss definitely only happens between people who are into one another. It typically occurs at one point or another during a makeout session. According to kissing.com, a vacuum kiss happens when you suck the air out of your partner’s mouth. Sometimes it could happen by accident, but usually, it’s a sign of an intense, passionate make-out.
5. Herinterest.com gives an understanding of what exactly a forehead kiss means. When your partner kisses you on the forehead, it means that they care and respect you. Of course, it means love as well, but there’s something so sensual and sweet about a forehead kiss. It has a deeper meaning.
6. Just like a kiss on the forehead, according to buzzle.com, a kiss on the hand can also signify respect and admiration. Only this time, it’s not necessarily just between two people who may like each other more than friends. Fun fact, according to Buzzle, the kiss originated during the 17th and 18th century in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
7. Eskimo kisses have been around for quite some time, and are typically used as the romantic option for those who live in cold climates. According to WiseToast, it’s when two noses rub against each other, moving back and forth. People who lived in cold areas had to do it or else they’d get their lips stuck together.