Imgur user KevinWisbith created these amazing images to show the real size of things. Each picture shows the scale of objects when placed next to something else. By comparing size in this way, it’s easy to see just how massive some of the things on this planet (and in the universe) really are.
Each image makes a stunning size comparison. Sometimes the picture will show the massive size of a man-made object, sometimes it will show just how large things can be in nature. Either way, it’s easy to marvel at the sheer size of things in our world. The scale of objects in these images is sure to make you think.
1. An M-1 Rocket Motor compared to a Smart Car: Developed in the 1950s by NASA, the M-1 rocket motor was never actually constructed, but it was the largest to ever be designed.
2. A B-2 Bomber compared to a football field: Despite being known as a stealth bomber, the B-2 boasts an impressive wingspan of 172 feet.
3. The Dionysus Asteroid compared to the Golden Gate Bridge: This asteroid, located in the Apollo Asteroid Belt, is not only huge but is also estimated to contain around $2.6 Trillion in natural resources
4. A prehistoric scorpion compared to cats: As far as showing the scale of objects, this picture is a lot scarier than the others. Good thing Pulmonoscorpius kirktonensis went extinct!
5. The Mir Mine compared to the Sears Tower: It’s pretty astounding to be comparing size between skyscrapers and holes dug into the ground, but the Mir Mine is 1,722 feet deep
6. The largest oil tanker ever made compared to the lake in Central Park: The ship, known as the Seawise Giant, is no longer in use, but at 1,504 feet, it was pretty huge.
7. The Titanic compared to an aircraft carrier: Most people wouldn’t think that the size comparison between the Titanic and a modern naval vessel would be this close, but the Titanic was a truly impressive ship.
8. The Burj Khalifa compared to the New York skyline: As the tallest building in the world, the Burj Khalifa would tower over any building in Manhattan (no pun intended).