We all know that nobody puts Baby in the corner, but here’s what you don’t know about this infamous rom com…
1. Apparently the ‘How do you call your lover boy?’ scene wasn’t planned! Jennifer and Patrick were trying to warm up by being silly and messing around but the director liked it so much that he put it in the film. Now that’s improvising!
2. Patrick and Jennifer didn’t always get on AND they had worked together before! Apparently Patrick had to convince Jennifer to do the film because she had hated him while filming Red Dawn. What was wrong with the woman?!
3. Val Kilmer was initially offered the lead but declined. THANK GOODNESS!
4. Apparently Patrick Swayze was offered six million dollars to reprise his role as Johnny for a Dirty Dancing sequel. Swayze wasn’t a fan of sequels and turned it down. This makes us love him even more – there should only ever be ONE Dirty Dancing!
5. The giggling/tickling scene was not staged. Jennifer Grey was super ticklish and Patrick Swayze was super fed up. Who knew?!
6. Did you know the love scene between Johnny and Baby was cut from the film, BUT is featured on the 20th anniversary DVD release in 2007? Now where did we put that DVD…
7. Patrick Swayze insisted on doing his own stunts and during the log scene he kept on falling off and injured his knee so badly he had to have fluid drained from the swelling.
8. Word on the street is that there were no close-ups of the lake ‘lift’ scene because it was filmed in October and their lips were blue! Brrrrr!
9. Sarah Jessica Parker actually auditioned for the lead in DD. We’re glad that it was Jennifer Grey that got the part though – we can’t imagine Baby any other way!
10. Patrick actually hated the line ‘No one puts baby in the corner,’ and had to muster all his strength to get it out!
11. Apparently, test audiences HATED the film and it was possibly going to be released straight to VHS. Jennifer Grey said, ”When we did it, it felt like it was so under the radar that no one was ever going to see it and we were just torturing ourselves for nothing.” She needn’t have worried!!