You remember all the words to ‘Greased Lightning’, still have a crush on Danny Zuko and know exactly what a ‘hickey from Kenickie’ means but here are a few things you may not have known about the musical masterpiece Grease…
Read on to discover 11 things you didn’t know about Grease
2. Sandy’s big number, ‘Hopelessly Devoted to You’ was written, recorded and filmed AFTER the movie was wrapped up. Apparently the film’s producers felt they need a powerful ballad. And they were right – the song received an Oscar nomination.
3. During the movie’s entire shoot the cast reportedly chewed their way through 100,000 pieces of bubble gum! Wow!
5. Henry Winkler – the Fonz from Happy Days – was originally offered the role of Danny Zuko but apparently turned it down for fear of being typecast…slicked back hair? Check. Leather jacket? Check. Yeah Henry, we can see why!
7. Turns out Kenikie, played by Jeff Conaway, was a bit of a method actor. A ‘hickey from Kenickie’ was totally real. Stockard Channing, who played Rizzo, revealed in an interview that Jeff insisted on applying them himself.
8. Jeff Conaway actually played Danny Zuko in the stage version of Grease before being cast as Kenickie for the film.
9. Sandy’s infamous black pants in the final scene were so tight the zip broke and she had to be sewn in. We’ve all been there, love!
11. To capitalise on Olivia Newton-John’s popularity in the film her character’s background was changed to accommodate her Australian accent.