Make This Magic Migraine PotionYou need three things: water, lemon juice from a lemon, and two teaspoons of salt. Combine the ingredients and drink. Wait a few minutes.
Things that you should keep in mind when choosing ingredients include that the salt should be of good quality. Pink Himalayan sea salt is a good one due to the 80 different trace minerals that it contains (including magnesium.) Eating salt quickly is proven to raise levels of serotonin. That helps to quell pain and inflammation.
Signs That This Is For YouMigraines affect almost 1 out of every 10 people. That is 36 million Americans. Interestingly enough migraines are in the top twenty complaints that cause people to call in sick for work.
Here are the symptoms to assess if you are having a migraine and will benefit from the Lemon Salt Water:
- Head throbbing
- Sensitive to Light, Noise, and Smell (or all at once)
- Pain that lasts from 2 to 72 hours
- Stress can be a cause. Migraines can start as a stress headache and then once the wheels get moving it goes to full blown migraine in no time.
- Alcohol consumption can cause some people to develop migraines.
- Allergies can set off a chain reaction that develops into a migraine.
- Deficiencies in vitamins and minerals can also cause a migraine to start.
- The most common cause seems to be dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. That is a sure way to feel sluggish (best case scenario) and if you are already prone to migraines, you could be leading your body to a huge headache (worst case scenario.)
Additionally it is theorized that migraines themselves can cause dehydration. That is sure to start a vicious cycle if that is the case. Dehydration causes migraines, which further deplete the body of hydration and in turn more migraines occur. No wonder they can last for days as your body struggles to find a balance that is providing the proper hydration.
The Big E(lectrolytes)Previous to my research for this article I knew very little about electrolytes except that they are something contained in Gatorade. Now I know that electrolytes are actually minerals in your body that have a positive electrical charge. The functions that these electrolytes are responsible for helping carry out are some of the biggest processes in the body. Including supporting nerve function, regulating cardiovascular system, and regulating muscle function.
Another mineral that has an important part in all of this is magnesium. Magnesium is a natural anti-inflammatory. It is thought that migraines are an inflammatory response. This explains the good quality salt required for the Magic Potion above to stop your headache. the magnesium from the salt will help combat the inflammatory ruckus in your head.